sábado, 22 de diciembre de 2007

La Navidad has arrived!

The ham and wine that are part of the traditional "cesta de navidad" (christmas basket) that employers normally give to their employees.

Christmas spirit is all over Madrid. Lights are in place, trees have been mounted and decorated, music and carols are everywhere and Papa Noel (aka: Santa Claus) and the Three Kings are vying for the priviledge of being the most popular present bearer of the season. (This is a huge polemic here, since the Reyes, the three kings, are Spanish tradition, but the commercialization of Santa and the convenience of his earlier arrival is winning over the yonger generations.) And as you can see from the picture they are breaking into many houses all over Spain, probably in attempt to brainwash the children.


In my school, we celebrated on Friday the kid's Christmas pageant. They had been preparing and practicing for weeks and it definitely paid off. Maybe I am biased, but I think my 2nd gradeer stole the show. They did a cute play (in Spanish) and then sang a Spanglish Christmas song. Check out the video here and you can let me know what an unbiased opinion is.

I have already gotten many Christmas gifts, mostly from students and other teachers. But the best gift I have ever gotten came last Thursday night when Paco asked me to marry him....officially!!!!!! (of course I said yes!) So I won't be needing any other Christmas gifts this year!

(He, he he! Saved the best news for last!)

1 comentario:

Amanda dijo...

Unbiased...your second graders rock! How adorable and surprisingly polished!

As you know, I'm super excited for you and Paco and if you need anyone to go traje de novia shopping with you in Goya, I'm right around the corner.

AND...I was telling my brother about the Bart T-shirt, but couldn't remember what it said. I said, "It says something like Show Business...something about a Bitch". And he said, "Show Business is a Hideous Bitch Goddess"? "Well, yes!", I said. Apparently, that's one of Bart's lines in an episode. My brother IS the expert.